We use cookies to give you a better website experience. By continuing to browse the website you consent to our use of cookies. Find out how we use cookies

Worried about a friend partner or family member?

People experiencing alcohol or drug problems often try to hide the symptoms and play down the extent of their problem. Watch out for the following warning signs that can show that something may be wrong:

Physical Behavioural Psychological
  • Bloodshot eyes, small or large pupils
  • Changes in appetite or sleep patterns.
  • Deterioration of physical appearance and personal hygiene
  • Shakes, slurred speech, or clumsiness
  • Reduced performance or attendance at work /study
  • Financial problems,  borrowing money etc
  • Secretive or suspicious behaviour
  • Sudden change in friends and social activities
  • Unexplained change in personality or attitude
  • Mood swings and  irritability
  • Periods of unusual hyperactivity, agitation, paranoia or anxiety
  • Lethargic or “spaced out” appearance

If someone is having problems (whether or not they are related to drink or drugs), often the first step to getting help is support from a friend, a family member, or a colleague. You may be nervous about raising the issue, but if it means they get help sooner it will have been worth it.

If you are worried about someone who is using drugs and/or alcohol, bring them to the Kingston Wellbeing Service for joint advice and support.

Read more about support for families, friends and partners affected by drugs and alcohol.